Welcome to another edition of our Dishing It Up Recipe Hop!
1 lb. hot Italian sausage 1/2 tablespoon olive oil (2) 12 oz. packages of frozen butternut squash (or use fresh cubed) salt & freshly ground black pepper 1/2 cup water 1/4 cup butter 1/4 cup white whole wheat flour 3 1/2 cups whole milk 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg 3/4 cup fresh basil leaves 1 package no-boil lasagna noodles 2 1/2 cups shredded whole-milk mozzarella cheese 1/3 cup grated Parmesan Directions:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Remove Hot Italian Sausage from casings and cook. Crumble and cool.
- Thaw frozen squash in frying pan with 1/2 T. olive oil or cook cubed squash. Add water and simmer over medium heat until soft. Puree squash, salt & pepper in food processor until smooth.
- Melt butter in saucepan and add flour. Whisk until mixed. Slowly add milk and continue whisking. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until sauce thickens. Whisk in nutmeg. Cool. Add sauce and basil to blender. Blend until smooth.
- Spray 13x9x2 glass baking dish. Spread sauce in bottom of dish. Arrange a layer of noodles. Spread squash puree on the noodles. Add 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese and add 1/2 cup sauce. Layer 3 more times.
- Cover dish with foil and bake for 40 minutes. Add rest of mozzarella and parmesan to the lasagna and cook for 15 more minutes.
- Cool slightly before serving.
This recipe is adapted from a Food Network Recipe by Giada DeLaurentiis.
Please visit some of my blogger friends for more great pasta recipes!